Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Newest Bizarre Fast Food Trend

-
A year ago, pretzel buns & crusts were all the rage.  Then fast food chains began adding watered down versions of Sriracha Sauce to sandwiches and tacos.  Next we were treated to a variety of toned down Ghost Pepper laden dishes.

So, what can we look forward to next?  Apparently, the next fast food trend, to hit the U.S., will be the addition of hot dogs to dishes.  Carl’s Jr. has already begun to market their 1/2lb. Most American Thickburger: a 100% Black Angus beef patty with American cheese, a split hot dog, and kettle cooked potato chips on a Fresh Baked Bun.

Pizza Hut's hot dog crust pizza
Subject: Pizza Hut's hot dog crust pizza |
Source: Courtesy Pizza Hut |
After hocking it in Australia, Canada, and England, Pizza Hut is bringing a Hot Dog Stuffed Crust Pizza, featuring 28 premium hot dog bites baked into the crust, served with a side of French’s mustard, to the U.S., starting June 18th.  Judging from the promo picture, this gem comes in regular crust or the aforementioned pretzel crust.

Rumor has it that Domino's has a similar offering in the works.  Instead of dippable sections of crust, Domino's is toying with a pizza with an outer crust stuffed with one continuous hot dog.  Once the outer crust is stuffed, it will be drizzled with tomato sauce and mustard.

I have tried many things for the purpose of writing this blog.  I'm not going to try this junk.  I can't speak for anybody else, but I don't need to shell out good money to know that, except for the burger patty, the only other meat product I want on my cheeseburger is bacon.  I'm also fairly certain I don't want yellow mustard ANYWHERE NEAR my pizza.

My question is, what kind of demand are these products hoping to fill?  Seriously, are there that many people saying, "I just ordered a pizza, boy I wish I had a hot dog too?"

Are we really so greedy, so over-the-top gluttonous, that we have to have all the goodies at once?  Isn't there something to be said for savoring one thing, then moving on to something else tomorrow?
-

No comments:

Post a Comment