Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Why I Can't Review Fairlife Milk

-
Fairlife Whole Milk
Subject: Fairlife Milk | Source: Coca Cola Company's Press Release |
I was drinking a glass of milk yesterday, when I stopped, peered longingly into the glass, and thought, "Man, I wish milk was better for me."  OK, that never happened.  1 8oz cup of mainstream whole cows' milk has 11.03 grams of carbohydrate, 7.9 grams of protein, 276 mg of calcium, and 349 mg of potassium.  See a complete nutritional breakdown here.

Nevertheless, Coca-Cola has launched a new “premium” line of healthier milks, called Fairlife. To make their milk healthier, Coca-Cola separates the milk into five components; water, vitamins & minerals, lactose, protein, and fat; then remixes it into "a rebuilt lactose-free milk," which contains half the sugar and double the protein of the normal product.

I can't review it, because I'm never going to try it.  I'm a full fledged member of middle income America, and in my neck of the woods Fairlife milk is prohibitively expensive. Coming in whole white, fat free white, 2% white, and 2% chocolate, Fairlife milk’s national average price is $4.29 for a 52 oz. bottle. Since there are 128 oz in a gallon, Fairlife milk costs to $10.51 per gallon.

The average price of conventional milk, is $3.50 per gallon (according to Bureau of Labor Statistics).  Lactose intolerant shoppers can find Lactaid (the leading brand of lactose free milk) for $3.38 per half gallon ($6.76 per gallon) at Walmart.

It's not only the high price that keeps me from reviewing this product.  At best, I'd be able to verify Fairlife's claim that their milk tastes like milk, essentially saying nothing.  Besides, I'm not sure how much a lab can do to milk and still call it milk.

Unless someone is severely protein deficient, I see no reason to spend $10.51 per gallon on this milk.


-

No comments:

Post a Comment